Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Colorado Springs, CO - Jul 2012 - Man arrested for Open Carry OC

  1. #1
    Owner NOLATAC-Brannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,354

    Colorado Springs, CO - Jul 2012 - Man arrested for Open Carry OC

    What od you think about the way this particular interaction went down?

    how did the cops behave?

    How did the detainee behave?

    What about the person filming and their comments?





    ORIGINAL LINK


    [QUOTE]
    Video: Man arrested for open carry in park
    Police are reviewing the arrest of a man who claims he was within his rights to openly carry a gun in a city park





    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Colorado Springs police are reviewing the arrest of a man who claims he was within his rights to openly carry a gun in a city park last month.


    An officer stopped James Sorenson for displaying a firearm during a PrideFest event in Acacia Park July 21. In a video posted to YouTube of the incident, Sorenson argues with the officer, asks to see a posted sign prohibiting weapons and eventually is taken into custody.






    According to The Gazette, the arrest was made under an outdated law banning guns in parks, with other reports indicating that current law does not specify rules on the display of firearms in parks – only that it is illegal to fire one.


    Police Chief Pete Carey viewed the video and said he will address the matter.


    “I share some concerns about what happened,” Carey said during the City Council meeting after a citizen raised concerns about the arrest.


    "I have a responsibility to make sure my guys are trained and they have the right resources, that they’re taking the right action."


    /QUOTE]

  2. #2
    If gas wasn't so expensive I'd drive up to CO to shoot that cop in the face. The 2nd Amendment shall not be infringed. Even if you're wearing a uniform and badge. At that point they just become an asshole with a Galls catalog. (if anyone wants to argue, I'm a SWAT medic who also worked in Afghanistan.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member steveraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    522
    Thougts...
    What happened before the camera started rolling? What was the reason for the detainment? Was he in the park during a fair or parade? I saw the booths set up so there was some gathering of some sort? Gay Pride day celebration or something similar? Is there a local or state code that says that you can't carry in a city park?
    The OCer lost his cool and cursed (this is bullshit) and raised his voice louder and louder. Personally I'm the passive agressive type. I tend to get quiet and sneer the more pissed off I get. Don't get loud and mad. That freaks out the popos. Calm and reasonable is better. The OCers partner/boyfriend didn't need to make any smart ass comments. The OCer wants to keep saying that he's being arrested for no reason but then by getting loud and boisterous he then starts cussing. They were going to find a reason at that point to arrest him even if the charges don't stick. Like the saying goes, "you may beat the charges but you won't beat the ride."
    You can call me Steve or Yale but only Brannon can call me Hot Sauce.

  4. #4
    Owner NOLATAC-Brannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatops View Post
    If gas wasn't so expensive I'd drive up to CO to shoot that cop in the face. The 2nd Amendment shall not be infringed. Even if you're wearing a uniform and badge. At that point they just become an asshole with a Galls catalog. (if anyone wants to argue, I'm a SWAT medic who also worked in Afghanistan.)
    I appreciate your contempt and share in it, however, temper your responses about shooting cops in the face.

    i understand your point, but just saying.

  5. #5
    Owner NOLATAC-Brannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,354
    I am a little curious about what happened before the video started as well.

  6. #6
    New Member REDARC-Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6
    Sooooo many things wrong with this interaction, first off the man Open carrying was asked to leave by the officers and he should have. If your asked to leave due to carrying a weapon then LEAVE!! I'm not at all an advocate for open carry by any means so if you have a CCW like this man said he did then it should have been concealed. Instead of trying to "FLEX" his 2ND Amendment muscle he could have just listened to the officer and he probably would not have went to jail. DON'T deny the officer your ID, DON'T wave your arms in an aggressive manner do as your told and more than likely you will go home. Make a scene and an ass of your self and you will end up in the back of a police car. The joker with the camera only made things worse by antagonizing the officers.
    RedArc International
    DARC Industries
    www.redarcintl.com
    Be prepared, people will need you ~Chris Love

  7. #7
    Senior Member steveraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    522
    OK, doing my detective thing I found out more about this guy and what happened.
    Source- http://www.gazette.com/articles/chie...al-arrest.html
    Colorado Springs Police Chief Pete Carey took responsibility Tuesday for the illegal arrest of a man who was carrying a gun in the open in Acacia Park last month.

    Guns can be openly carried in city parks.

    “I share some concerns about what happened,” Carey said during the City Council meeting after a citizen raised concerns about the arrest.

    “I have a responsibility to make sure my guys are trained and they have the right resources, that they’re taking the right action,” Carey said.

    During PrideFest, police arrested a 24-year-old man under an outdated law banning guns in parks. The arrest was captured on video.

    “I also saw that video, more than once, and I do have some concerns,” Carey said.

    “I promised the mayor and I’ll promise you I’m going to take care of it,” Carey told the man who raised the concerns during the citizen discussion portion of the meeting.
    Source- http://www.gazette.com/news/police-1...-colorado.html
    Mayor orders police review of mistaken open carry arrest (with video)

    At the behest of the mayor and police chief, Colorado Springs police will conduct an “expedited review” of the mistaken arrest of a man openly carrying a pistol at Acacia Park in July.

    Barbara Miller, police spokeswoman, wrote in a release that the Mayor Steve Bach and Police Chief Pete Carey agreed that the chief will immediately launch an investigation into the 24-year-old’s man July 21 arrested for an outdated law banning guns in parks.

    Guns are allowed to be openly carried in public parks in Colorado Springs and police later admitted the arrest was a mistake.

    According to the release, Carey will “take all action necessary to ensure the Colorado Springs Police Department is consistent and appropriate in its actions in this type of situation.”

    James Sorensen told the Gazette that he was on his way back to his vehicle from PrideFest when he was asked to leave the park by police. When he asked the officer for his identification, he was detained. In a posted on YouTube, Sorensen is seen asking police several times if he can leave and is told he can’t. Police told him that he was being held because he wasn’t allowed to carry a gun in the park. Sorensen was arrested and said he was held in a cell for about an hour and then given a ticket.

    He was later given his gun back and the ticket was dismissed. Police say there will be no record of the arrest.

    Miller said last week that officers may have been mistaken because of an outdated “cheat sheet”, which outlines city laws. The sheet cites an old law which prohibited openly carried guns in parks. That law was changed almost a decade ago. Still, she said officers are still required to look up the actual wording of the law if they aren’t sure of it. The “cheat sheet” has since been updated.

    Miller said police are reviewing why it was so outdated in the first place, and why officers did not research the law before the arrest.

    Sorensen said Monday night that he was surprised the mayor took an interest in the case.

    "It's nice to see that the mayor cares about his citizens," he said. "I thought my complaint would hit the police chief's desk and he would take care of it. For the mayor to step in is kind of nice."

    He said he has filed a formal complaint against the department and has been notified that an internal investigation is being conducted, but hasn't yet been interviewed for that investigation.

    Since his arrest, Sorensen said he has been contacted by several gun rights advocates who support his cause.
    You can call me Steve or Yale but only Brannon can call me Hot Sauce.

  8. #8
    Senior Member steveraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by REDARC-Chris View Post
    I'm not at all an advocate for open carry by any means so if you have a CCW like this man said he did then it should have been concealed.
    And if you have a drivers license then you should never ride a bicycle? A conceal carry permit gives you the option to conceal if you choose to do so but there was no reason for this man to hide his gun and the officers were wrong in this case.
    The "you're about to get your ass kicked" comment shoes how little at least one officer was concerned about being professional.
    You can call me Steve or Yale but only Brannon can call me Hot Sauce.

  9. #9
    New Member REDARC-Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by steveraacke View Post
    And if you have a drivers license then you should never ride a bicycle? A conceal carry permit gives you the option to conceal if you choose to do so but there was no reason for this man to hide his gun and the officers were wrong in this case.
    The "you're about to get your ass kicked" comment shoes how little at least one officer was concerned about being professional.
    Im not saying the Officers weren't wrong in this case. All I'm saying is if he would have listened and handled it in a different manner it could have all been avoided.
    RedArc International
    DARC Industries
    www.redarcintl.com
    Be prepared, people will need you ~Chris Love

  10. #10
    Member Squee Dab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Noladishu, Karjackistan
    Posts
    56
    I'd venture to say that 95% of all encounters could be resolved without (too much) mess if at least one of the involved parties were cool, calm, and collected.

  11. #11
    New Member REDARC-Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Squee Dab View Post
    I'd venture to say that 95% of all encounters could be resolved without (too much) mess if at least one of the involved parties were cool, calm, and collected.
    I absolutely agree.
    RedArc International
    DARC Industries
    www.redarcintl.com
    Be prepared, people will need you ~Chris Love

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raceland,LA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    13
    ive been harassed by JPSO several times for open carrying, this guy did good except say he wasn't getting in a police car, bringing up the gay issue, and for calling the Army

  13. #13
    Senior Member steveraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    522
    The guy has a lawyer and is looking into a lawsuit. He's posting in the CO section of the OCDO forum. Looks like the cops are going to cost that city a big chunk of change.
    You can call me Steve or Yale but only Brannon can call me Hot Sauce.

  14. #14
    Member Charonveritas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Metaire, La
    Posts
    64
    I hate to do an us vs. them deal, but in this case I think they were harassing the guy simply because he was OC'ing. I try not to push the issue, and I've never had to, but I believe in the 2nd Amend as being my permit to carry period.

    The cops fail because while they may have stopped him to check ID, they had no reason to detain him.

    The detainee probably should've been more professional, and calm during the situation. The resolution would've probably been better.

    The being Gay remark was a non-sequiter, which therefore added nothing to the mix.

    The camera in this case was beneficial, but not the cameramans comments.

    The only things I wonder about this stop, and detention is: 1-What happened before the tape started. and 2-Did the permit for the festival/event alter the ability to have a weapon in the park.

    My 2-cents.

  15. #15
    Life is hard, it's harder when you're ignorant of the law as these LEO's were.

    I'd say the man being acosted by the officers during this illegal and false arrest was as calm as can be expected.....just wish he didn't swear.

  16. #16
    Owner NOLATAC-Brannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,354
    STeve, see if you can get a definitive answer for us if OC was legal where he was. Based on your earlier post, it would seem it is forgoing any special stuff about the park.

  17. #17
    Senior Member steveraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    522
    Brannon, It was legal. The State had enacted full preemption about 9 years ago. Up to that time the town had a ban on guns in parks but after premption went in to effect that ban went away. The problem is, the officers were not trained up on the current laws. They had "Cheat Sheets" to reference before making arrests but those sheets had not been updated.
    In video interviews with the OCer he stated that he understands that he should have not gotten so upset and is a bit embarassed after watching the video but he was certain of his legal rights and was extremely aggitated by being harrassed by LEOs in public. He said the worst part is that he was being told "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" by the police but in fact it was the police who were ignorant of the law.
    You can call me Steve or Yale but only Brannon can call me Hot Sauce.

  18. #18
    Owner NOLATAC-Brannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by steveraacke View Post
    Brannon, It was legal. The State had enacted full preemption about 9 years ago. Up to that time the town had a ban on guns in parks but after premption went in to effect that ban went away. The problem is, the officers were not trained up on the current laws. They had "Cheat Sheets" to reference before making arrests but those sheets had not been updated.
    In video interviews with the OCer he stated that he understands that he should have not gotten so upset and is a bit embarassed after watching the video but he was certain of his legal rights and was extremely aggitated by being harrassed by LEOs in public. He said the worst part is that he was being told "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" by the police but in fact it was the police who were ignorant of the law.
    If anyone, I know how easy it is to get frustrated at hypocrisy, when the hypocrisy is being used against you to assert an injustice, no matter how small. I am sure several people on BS do as well. LOL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •